We have designed this process with care to ensure that each candidate's application receives the most thorough consideration.
All applications are screened by the National Program Office (NPO) and forwarded to members of the National Advisory Committee (who are recognized experts in the social sciences and health policy research), the program site directors, and RWJF staff for extensive review. Approximately 20 - 25 finalists are selected for interviews with faculty at one or more of the participating universities. From these interviewed finalists the Foundation selects up to 9 individuals to receive fellowships.
The following criteria will be considered in the course of the application review process:
- The applicant's potential to contribute creatively as a social scientist to future U.S. health policy thinking—either by identifying emerging health policy issues and problems or by bringing new insight to the examination and analysis of existing issues and problems.
- The applicant's commitment to a career consistent with the program's purpose and goals.
- The quality of the applicant's past research, including dissertation research.
- The capability of the applicant to undertake this challenging program.
- Recommendations by faculty and other individuals with whom the applicant has studied or worked.